Saturday, 26 April 2014

Review: Haix Combat High Liability British Army Boot Brown


With my Danners looking a little the worse for wear I’ve been looking on and off for a replacement pair of boots for when the time comes and they finally leave me for that big boot graveyard in the sky. Last year I bought a pair of German Army Para Boots online I bought a size 12 (took ages to find someone with a size 12) they arrived I was happy until I put them on they were HUGE, so I sent them back and remained on the look out.
Last Sunday I found a pair of Haix High Liability Grade 1 used for £35, now I’ve always been sceptical of buying “used boots” I hear people say they’re great already broken in etc. BUT to my mind they’re broken in for someone else’s foot……….. regardless I thought for £35 it’s worth the gamble:
Official Blurb:

  • Waterproof full grain leather upper.
  • Gore-Tex lining making the boot waterproof and breathable.
  • Locking D-Ring system for increased security and stability.
  • Abrasion and water resistant high rand ‘skirt’ on sole to provide extra security.
  • Lightweight , durable, anti-static, oil and acid resistant, anatomic sole . The boots arrived in good order and got their first real test this morning, I put them on and set out for a 3hr jolly with the dogs it’s been raining on and off for the last 2 days/nights and the majority of our walk is dirt/mud tracks and across fields.
    Initial thoughts putting the boots on for some reason it felt like I was wearing a pair of platform shoes, I’m already 6’4” but felt like these added another inch or 2 (purely psychological I’m sure) psychological or not it took the first 30minutes until I felt comfortable walking.
    Overall a well made comfortable boot, they have a nifty little locking mechanism for the laces on the one eye (In-between the 3 eyelets for the shoe and the 2 for the ankle support):
    IMG-20140426-01358IMG-20140426-01359

    Some random pictures of the boots:
    IMG-20140426-01344IMG-20140426-01348IMG-20140426-01356IMG-20140426-01357

    Remember these are Grade 1 used, there is every little sign of wear and tare the biggest give away was the wear on the heals:
    IMG-20140426-01355
    Nothing much to worry about there are still plenty of miles left in these boots and for the price I paid I really can’t grumble. For some reason they don’t look like an army boot, I may be bias as in my day boots came in 2 colours black and parade gloss bulled black Open-mouthed smile, brown boots were unheard of but I actually prefer them.
  • Out with the old and in with the new? Not quite, I’ll still be wearing my Danners but will alternate between the 2 Winking smile
    IMG-20140426-01346

    4 comments:

    1. Do you wear a size 12M or a size 12W. I'm normally a UK size 9.5 but my correct measurement has me at a size 10. So I'm wondering if I need a 10M or a 10W.

      ReplyDelete
    2. I either have to wear a UK 12W or 13M, these are a 12W and fit like a glove (The Danners were a 13).

      ReplyDelete
    3. How are these boots holding up. Comfort? Any leaking? wet feet etc.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Hello mate, first I'd like to apologise in the delay getting back to you I've been sort of AFK, second I'd like to thank you for taking the time to read and comment.
        To your question, No leaking what so ever if you look in the one picture you can see the legs of my trousers were soaked and the boots all shiny and wet but my feet then and since then have always remained dry.
        The only issues I've had are where you can see the sole was thinned on the heal it started to come away, this was easily fixed with a dab of shoegoo and secondly the (I don't know the correct terminology) cushioning part that the sole is glued onto started to crack in a couple of places again fixed with shoegoo.

        I can only put down these negative issues to the fact these were USED and I have no idea of their history, I'll be honest I haven't worn them a great deal over the spring/summer months as I was trialing another pair and this winter again another pair have been putting through their paces both of which will feature in the blog as soon as time allows.

        The Hiax are a great boot in my honest opinion, it would be worth the money getting them new although they do tend to be a bit pricey. I don't know if they're as good as my Danners which have stood the test of time use and abuse but I know the Danners from new.

        Delete